Friday, February 11, 2011

Our Worst Enemy?

"Your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own unguarded thought." - Buddha

Last year I had a situation in my life that felt incredibly stressful. It seemed like I was being attacked, and I felt angry and scared. As the fear grew it began to consume me and almost every aspect of my life. It wasn't fun to be me, and I am pretty sure it wasn't much fun being around me either.

In hind site, I can see that more than half the stress originated in my thoughts, rather than by the actions of "my worst enemy." I realized, once again, that while the actions of another may feel like an attack, I attack myself over and over with my thoughts of fear, anger, judgement or self condensation.

Today's journal question:

Where do I feel attacked by another? In what way am I attacking myself with my feelings and thoughts about that event?

No comments:

Post a Comment