Thursday, February 10, 2011

Life Purpose

"There is nothing more truly artistic than to love people." - Vincent Van Gogh
What a great quote. It says in one sentence what I have said to people seeking their life purpose for a long time. As an artist I originally started my career in architecture. While there were many things I loved in that field I always felt there was something missing. In the early 90's by a "good stroke of luck," I ventured into working with people and absolutely LOVED it. For years I wasn't clear how I could love this work so much when it seemed to me (and to almost everyone I met) such a far cry from what I had loved doing as an artist.

When I started working more specifically with people as a career coach I began more and more to see how creative my work actually was. As part of the process to finding a career with passion clients would list things that they love to do and look for a translation to a career. Often times people miss the clues to possible paths because we fail to look for the less "obvious" connections.

In this process I could see how easily one could assume that as an artist I would want to pursue a career in graphic design, illustration or architecture, but actually when looking at the whole person, the work I currently do is a much better fit for me. This work combines my passion for creativity, my love of working with people and my value for freedom, family and community. Truly I am blessed to have found it!

This re-minds me of the three concentric circles again. What we see on the surface is related to what is at the center, but what is at the center can translate into many different things on the surface.

Today's journalling question:

What are you translating from your core in a literal way that could be expanded? What other ways could this core part of you express in your life?

This blog post dedicated to my dad, Wayne Bartels, one of the most passionate and talented people I know, Eddie Jones, my friend and very talented curriculum writer Sheran Mattson, and my very creative friend Shaunna O'Dowd.


2 comments:

  1. Tanya, I love this entry and thank you so much!!!! Your very creative friend; I smiled when I read this and then of course thought, “Who the hell is she talking about?” The question you posed was perfect for me to contemplate! There are a few ways my core is expressing itself, the one that stands out the most is how I “be” in my friendships. It is in this area that I experience genuine safety; therefore my “beingness” radiates throughout and touches my dear friends.
    During our coaching session I had to consider, how am I “being” when I am a friend? Hmmmm…….. good question! Now, I am human with many silly, quirky flaws but most of the time, in the company of my amazing friends, I am genuine, kind, loving, creative, trustworthy, joyful, vulnerable, and lastly, there is depth, something that just is. There are moments where I forget the rules and regulations of society, the standards I hold myself too; it’s as if for a mere instant I stop holding my breath and allow the spirit of love to enter my soul and I let go, laugh and “be.” What occurs in these moments is pure love and I guess…… creativity!!!! The bigger question for me is how do I achieve this in the rest of my life? There must be something for me to “do” to generate this experience in every aspect of my existence, preferably now. However; it was suggested that I do nothing and just create! Love you Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shaunna,

    Thank you for your comment and openness. You are an incredibly, amazing CREATOR! I am so grateful for you.

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete