Thursday, April 22, 2010

Tigers and Bears


If I got scared when I was little, my mom would tell me to think of tigers instead of bears. She said that your brain can not think of two things at the same time so if you are afraid of bears think of tigers, and your brain can't think of the bears. As a result, you won't feel afraid.

I remember spending a lot of time thinking that both tigers and bears are scary. Why didn't she say if you are afraid of bears think of kitty cats? Guess what....it worked. In thinking of why she said what she said, my brain couldn't think about whatever I was afraid of, and I no longer felt afraid.

I use this same concept as an adult. When I am feeling stress or fear about something, I focus on something positive. It works. As soon as I feel less stress or fear I am in a better place to make a positive choice about anything on my mind.

P.S. Reminder: Call your mother.....:)

No comments:

Post a Comment