Thursday, April 23, 2015

Right or Happy?

Let go of your ego’s need to be right. When you’re in the middle of an argument, ask yourself: Do I want to be right or be happy? When you choose the joyous, loving, spiritual mode, your connection to intention is strengthened. -Wayne Dyer
Years ago a friend asked me if I would rather be right or happy. I honestly had to stop and think. Having been raised to believe that being right was happiness I had never considered otherwise, and I was embarrassed to admit it. Now, all these years later, I am amazed at how often I observe the desire to be right in myself and all over our culture. I am also amazed how incredibly freeing and peaceful it is to know that I can admit when I am not right and in fact let go completely of the need to be right.
This is definitely one of those journeys of progress not perfection for me. In fact, I crack myself up when I want to be perfect in this place. I catch myself, "Oh there I am wanting to be right again." I notice that it is really tied to thinking that when I am right I am safe. Being present to this awareness helps and I have found a little humor, mindfullness and a whole lot of patience and unconditional love go a long way on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment