Friday, May 21, 2010

Transitions


In Kundalini yoga there is a pause or transition between each exercise or pose. As one pose ends this brief transition time is practiced by consious breathing, and being aware of the way the energy is now moving through your body. This time serves as closure for the proceeding pose, a re-minder to be present and a smooth transition into the beginning of the next pose.

I've observed that when I am teaching a class or taking a class I practice these transitions very well. They serve me, and I reap the benefit. However, when I am practicing yoga by myself I notice I tend to race through the transition or skip it altogether. Hmm?

Once again, Kundalini yoga has served as a wonderful re-minder for life. I've noticed that I tend to race through or skip transitions in my everyday life. In fact, I've noticed that almost everyone I know including clients, friends and even perfect strangers are doing the same thing. Rushing through everyday, life just becomes a blur.

Today, take a moment at those transitions in your life to take a conscious breath and become aware of the moment. These transitions may be times like when you have finished preparing a meal, finished eating the meal, finished a conversation, gotten ready to head out the door, or finished reading this blog!

See what you notice as you honor transitions in your life. Happy transitioning!

No comments:

Post a Comment