Monday, April 11, 2011

Abstract or Realistic


Sometimes when you work in your creative journal you might want to use realistic, recognizable images. Other times you may wish to use totally abstract ideas. In some of my Creative Discovering workshops I will suggest specifically one or the other to aid in uncovering a block, or change the experience a little.


As you work on your own I encourage you to do both. Try both on the same prompt and see what comes out for you. Ask yourself not only questions like, "Which one do I like better," but also, "What do I get from one that is different than the other?"


Journal prompt:


What is your greatest strength and weakness?


This prompt can be tricky for people. If you find it challenging, or you just want to try another approach, you might try stream of consciousness writing for 5 or 10 minutes. Set a time and commit to writing until the full time has lapsed. Then pick up your creative journal and start creating images. Don't think too much, just draw!

2 comments:

  1. I am loving this Tanya. Going to do some creative journaling right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shaunna, I am so glad you are enjoying this let me know if you have any questions, ideas or experiences you would like to share!

    ReplyDelete